March 15th, 2018
Choosing a Custom or Template Website
Let’s Discuss The Pros And Cons Of Custom Web Development Vs. Template Websites
We get asked a lot about template websites and the need for a custom website when there are so many website templates available at a much cheaper cost.
While a template website will have a shorted development cost and is a budget-friendly option, just remember that your competitors or similar businesses may be using the same template! Template websites can sometimes have compatibility issues when trying to apply extra functionality to your website, such as an e-Commerce store setup.
Amy, our web developer breaks down the pro and cons on custom and templated website.
- The website will have completely unique content customised to your business needs while incorporating your company branding into the design and development stage
- We specialise in WordPress C.M.S systems which are built into your custom website to ensure it’s easy for the owner to manage their own website content
- Designed and developed for Search Engine Optimisation (S.E.O)
- Responsive adaptability, meaning the content will be display correctly on all devices e.g desktop, tablet and mobile screens.
- The website will be tested to work on all up to date browser platforms
- A custom design and built website takes more time to develop
- Due to longer design and development time custom websites are more expensive
- Template websites are cheaper alternative to custom built websites
- A shorter development time
- Budget friendly
- Simple to create without much custom coding
- You template may be used by other businesses or competitors, meaning your website won’t stand out from the crowd
- Design limitations and less customisation is available
- Templates aren’t search engine optimisation (S.E.O) friendly
- Templates may not be compatible with all browsers
- Plugin compatibility issues, or update issues
- Template sites most likely won’t have as good support as a custom built site
- Any new content will have to be adapted to fit the predetermined areas of the template design
Amy is a leading WordPress developer and our go to girl for all things web development! Read more about custom designed and developed websites on Amy’s blog: Colour In Lines
To discuss your website project get in touch with the team at Peninsula Digital to discuss!